Whenever i try to brush my teeth my gums look bright red and swollen and they bleed. does this mean i have gum disease? it also hurts

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

See dentist ASAP: See your dentist or hygienist for a definitive diagnosis. At age eighteen, it is possible that you need an excellent professional cleaning coupled with enhanced home care to remedy the situation.

Answered 4/30/2015

2.9k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Gingivitis: bright red and swollen gums; it may be a sign that you are at risk for or already have gum disease. This is a serious problem, which should be checked by a dentist. Do not delay,

Answered 7/25/2015

2.5k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Gum disease: It is not normal for gums to be red, swollen and bleed. At your age you probably have the milder form of gum disease which is known as gingivitis. Left untreated it becomes worse. In most cases, a proper professional prophylaxis (cleaning) followed by good oral hygiene tooth brushing and flossing will resolve the problem. See your dentist for an evaluation and treatment.

Answered 11/3/2018

254 views