Berlin, New Hampshire
A 31-year-old member asked about a female:

can change in weather mess with type one diabetes. always around this time my 11 year old daughter suger and ketones go up?

Dr. Paul Kaplowitz
Pediatric Endocrinology 45 years experience
Depends: A change in weather by itself won't cause her diabetes to be more out of control but if as a result of cooler weather and shorter days she is playing outside less and eating more, that could in part explain her higher blood glucose levels
Dr. Ira Katz
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I agree with what Dr. Kaplowitz has said. There is also a normal pattern of hormone production throughout the day that has a significant effect on blood sugar (cortisol and growth hormone peak in the am, for example) and with the time change this is briefly disrupted and the body may need several days or even a week or two to adjust and this may effect the sugars as part of the above.
Nov 13, 2015