MD

Are oral cancer lumps large or can they be very small. i have a bump on the roof of my mouth that my oral surgeon said was to small to biopsy.

Dr. Armine Nazarian
Dentistry 30 years experience
Oral cancer: Has the bump been checked and evaluated to see if it is caused by an abcessed tooth or not? If you have a bump and it doesn't go away in 7 to 10 days, then it should be checked. Has a torus been ruled out? However oral cancer starts small and grows if not detected and removed for biopsy as early as possible.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Get a second opinion: Bumps that last longer than 10 days without healing, regardless the size, should be checked by a dentist or oral pathologist. They can be quite large, or they may remain as small bumps.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
Size: Oral cancer starts as one mutant cell that divides and grows. There' snow such thing as being too small to biopsy. The lump in your mouth may not present as problematic, however any lesion that doesn't disappear in 10 days to 2 weeks deserves further investigation. Ask your Dentist to refer you to another Oral Surgeon for a second opinion.

Last updated Apr 7, 2019