Singapore

I am currently on 50mg pristiq and stilnox. it seems like i have gained weight. i do have anxiety / depression and bulimic. and also a chain smoker and have sleeping issues. will any other medication would work better for me? i do afraid of gaining weight

Dr. Patricia Foster
Need medical eval: Yes, Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) can cause weight gain but so can bulimia, depression, thyroid disorder, abnormal blood sugar etc. Get checked by your pcp to rule out medical factors for weight gain. Talk to prescribing doctor about weight gain on Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) and review alternate meds. Would add therapy to help you work on eating disorder, depression and chain smoking. I hope this helps and you feel better soon.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Dr. Foster is right. Remember food and smoking are both addictions. Especially if money is an issue, you can take advantage of AA, NA or Overeater's anonymous. The 12-step program works for any addiction (food is the toughest, because you still have to eat, and with the others, abstinence is the goal and you can distance yourself from the memories of using them). Meetings are free.
Oct 9, 2015

Last updated Apr 26, 2016