I have had a skin irritation/infection my belly button(only for a year (liquid smells). all did not work: anti fungal cream, cephalexin, bacatracin.

6 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Antonio Cruz answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Culture it: If you are having a discharge form that area and it is as chronic as you say it is, i would recommend seeing one of your providers for a skin culture. If it is inconclusive, they may even consider a skin biopsy to really get to the bottom of it. Best of luck!

Answered 5/1/2015

5.2k views

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

See dermatologist: Do you have a belly button ring? Contact dermatitis could be the etiology, and you'd no longer be able to wear one. Evaluation might include cultures or biopsy of the area. The liquid you mention makes me think of patent urachus, but it's unlikely that would've escaped infant diagnosis. You can't really look at your own navel, so see a dr.

Answered 5/1/2015

5.2k views