San Diego, CA

took cephalexin for infection. now have itchy, flaky skin on my scalp, in my ears, & pelvic area. allergy meds/creams don't work. still have inital infection.?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Allergy and Immunology 17 years experience
Allergy vs fungus: This could be an allergic reaction although it should be everywhere on your body, not just scalp, ears and groin. It could very well be that the Cephalexin has suppressed your immune systems synergistic bacteria that keeps typical candidal fungus species at bay and this is the side effect. Happens a lot with women treated for urinary tract infxns then getting yeast infxn due to the antibiotic.