AZ

I got blood test done and all of the hiv test came negative except hiv ab. what does that mean?

Dr. Gregory Lewis
Urology 45 years experience
See answer: The HIV antibody test is the most common HIV screening test. Most people develop HIV antibodies within 3 months after infected with HIV. The HIV antigen/antibody test can detect both HIV antigen (a part of the virus) and HIV antibodies in blood. An antigen/antibody test can detect HIV infection before an HIV antibody test. I recommend you contact your lab or MD for clarification of your results.
Dr. John Gaffney
Conflicting results : Not exactly sure what tests were ordered - but a healthy individual does not produce antibodies to HIV. However, a negative screening test means only that there is no evidence of disease at the time of the test. Head back to your primary care physician for a follow-up. Hope that helps!
Last updated Oct 4, 2015