New York, NY

is it common to test positive for strep a on rapid strep and a month later test positive for strep c on throat culture?

Dr. David Lipkin
Not unusual: Group C strep is frequently found on throat culture and is part of the normal flora that reside in the throat. As such, it's role as the causative agent in any given case of pharyngitis is often uncertain. There is no evidence Group C strep causes Acute Rheumatic Fever. *If it is cultured in an asymptomatic individual there is no necessity to treat it unless it's suspected as the cause.