I have a daughter that is 11 years old and still has lots of baby teeth. she only have 8 permanent ones. is this normal?

8 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Arnold Malerman answered

Specializes in Orthodontics

No: At 11 she should have about 18 of her 32 permanent teeth erupted into her mouth. Please take her to a General Dentist for evaluation. The Dentist may want to refer her to a Growth & Development Specialist, a Pediatric Dentist or an Orthodontist, for additional studies and treatment.

Answered 9/22/2015

2.3k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Not abnormal: Some children will get their teeth earlier while others later. When the teeth come in later than average, it is called delayed tooth eruption. If concerned, see a pedodontist, dentist for kids. Good luck.

Answered 12/24/2015

2.2k views

Dr. Ronald Hsu answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

It might be normal..: If you didn't count permanent molars. At 11, typically you would have at least 12 permanents - 4 permanent molars, 4 upper front, 4 lower front. That's on the later side of average, but still within range of normal. Having seen thousands of kids and read dozens of research papers, it is clear that the range of normal is very wide. Any other siblings or cousins late in teething?

Answered 7/3/2020

1.8k views

Dr. Justin Nelson answered

Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry

Yes/no: no, this is not normal by "text book" standards Yes, there is great variety in eruptionn dates for young children these days based on family origin, genetics, and family history. Average is 12 but I have seen +- 2.5 years easily in my practice. no worries, unless they have certain syndromes that delay eruption I am sure she will be just fine.

Answered 7/3/2020

1.6k views