Philippines

I have a daughter that is 11 years old and still has lots of baby teeth. she only have 8 permanent ones. is this normal?

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
No: At 11 she should have about 18 of her 32 permanent teeth erupted into her mouth. Please take her to a General Dentist for evaluation. The Dentist may want to refer her to a Growth & Development Specialist, a Pediatric Dentist or an Orthodontist, for additional studies and treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
Not abnormal: Some children will get their teeth earlier while others later. When the teeth come in later than average, it is called delayed tooth eruption. If concerned, see a pedodontist, dentist for kids. Good luck.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 54 years experience
For girls the 4 6 year molars and all 8 incisors should have erupted by age 7, the 2 lower canines at age 9, and all 4 1st premolars at age 10. By 11 the 4 2nd premolars and the 2 upper canines should be erupting. With only 8 of the 32 permanent teeth erupted by age 7 this is probably more than just delayed eruption. Need to see Pedodontist or Orthodontist, dentition development specialists.
Sep 23, 2015
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin commented
Pain Management 37 years experience
Provided original answer
Dr. Arnold Malerman, I want to thank you so much for the help and advice you have shared. Thank you for your honest feedback.
Sep 24, 2015
Dr. Ronald Hsu
Pediatric Dentistry 19 years experience
It might be normal..: If you didn't count permanent molars. At 11, typically you would have at least 12 permanents - 4 permanent molars, 4 upper front, 4 lower front. That's on the later side of average, but still within range of normal. Having seen thousands of kids and read dozens of research papers, it is clear that the range of normal is very wide. Any other siblings or cousins late in teething?
Dr. Justin Nelson
Pediatric Dentistry 17 years experience
Yes/no: no, this is not normal by "text book" standards Yes, there is great variety in eruptionn dates for young children these days based on family origin, genetics, and family history. Average is 12 but I have seen +- 2.5 years easily in my practice. no worries, unless they have certain syndromes that delay eruption I am sure she will be just fine.