Tallahassee, FL

I have white layer in my mouth. no sores or anything... may be white toungued but evenly white. just took cephalexin 500mg x4 and stopped at day 6th. is that a sign of hiv?

Dr. Layne Hermansen
Specializes in Family Medicine
Oral yeast infection: Sounds like you have a yeast infection on your tongue from using antibiotics. It happens occasionally. You will want to be checked for diabetes along with getting an antifungal prescription mouth rinse. Your doctor can also ask you questions to see if you are at risk for HIV and can also do a lab test to determine HIV status.
Dr. Al Hegab
Dr. Al Hegabanswered
Allergy and Immunology 40 years experience
No: that's mostly due to the antibiotic, and secondary fungal infection, it will go away since you stopped the cephalexin, if it doesn't you will need to take an antifungal, if you believe you were exposed to HIV or have a risk factor, ask your doctor for testing, wish you wellness

Last updated Sep 22, 2015