i damaged my tfcc 4 months ago. its healing very slowly. how long do i have before its to late to get surgery and will a cast make any difference.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Roger Palutsis
35 years experience Sports Medicine
Need some treatment: Tfcc ligament tears usually do not heal without some form of treatment. I do feel that it may be worth a course of a cortizone (hydrocortisone) injection and cast immobilization. If symptoms still persists, then surgery will be required. I would suggest seeing an orthopaedic surgeon with an interest in hand surgery. Good luck.
Answered on Apr 6, 2013
1
Dr. Raymond Raven
23 years experience Hand Surgery
Depends: Tfcc injuries (a form of wrist sprain) can take some time to heal. Sometimes they do not heal. If you still have symptoms after 4 months of treatment and therapy, you nay need surgical intervention. I usually try an injection first. See a wrist specialist for an evaluation and diagnosis. Then consider your options in light of the surgeon's recommendations.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
2