Canada

My doctor has done blood work to check my liver function because of black blood in stool. can you tell me why?

Dr. Maria Palafox
Breast Surgery 24 years experience
Bleeding: He is likely making sure that your liver is functioning normally; the liver produces chemicals that help us clot. If the liver is not working properly eg cirrhosis, then you won't produce clotting factors and this may lead to bleeding somewhere in the GI tract, hence the black stools. Your doctor will likely recommend an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy to look for a bleeding source

Last updated Aug 7, 2015