Jacksonville, FL

i have low epo output and extremely low iron stores in bone marrow(aspiration done). chronic anemia-can be as low as 6.2-8.2 on regular basis can this affect my teeth? it seems since my dx 8-10 yrs ago i have had terrible tooth decay and poor gums. of cor

Dr. Gary Klugman
Dentistry 46 years experience
Possibilities: It could make you more susceptible to gums disease. It shouldn't affect your teeth unless something you are taking is causing dry mouth. Things that could affect your susceptibility to decay are menopause, vomiting, and heart burn. You don't have to have problems if you take care of your teeth.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Unlikely: I'm unaware of any studies linking low iron or anemia to dental decay or perio disease. However, maintain good oral hygiene and be on the lookout for dental pain or gum swelling.

Last updated Oct 23, 2017