MD

Hello. i have a lump that's been in my mouth under my teeth in the soft gum part. some days its inflated, other days, its "deflated" with a rough patch there. i'm a smoker and i smoke on average one pack per day but i've only been smoking for three years.

Dr. Franklyn Gergits
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 29 years experience
Oral lesion: Greetings. As a smoker, you are at high risk for oral cancer to develop. As with every smoker I see, I ask you to quit smoking for your health but also for your loved ones. If you had to tell patients they had cancer like I do, you'd understand. Every patient who hears those words wish they could go back and stop! See your ENT doctor to have the spot in your mouth looked at and maybe biopsied.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 41 years experience
See Oral Surgeon: Best to get this checked out. Typically we do not see oral cancer with areas that inflate and deflate. Might be a salivary duct blockage or a chronic abscess. Might also be two things simultaneously. As a smoker you are at a much increased risk for oral cancer. Stay smart and get the apt with the Oral Surgeon. Good Luck.
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Question ?: You did not ask a question. But you should really have that "lump" examined by a local dentist to determine exactly what is causing it and what treatment you might need.
Dr. Karen Spitzer
Dentistry 35 years experience
Swollen gum area: I would recommend you see a dentist to evaluate why the swelling keeps returning. You may have an abcessed tooth that needs to be addressed. They can also evaluate the "rough" patch that you are seeing.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Lump: Possible causes range from mucocele (blocked minor salivary gland duct) to draining tooth abscess to oral cancer (smoker) to gum disease to recurring pathos ulcer to... In other words there are numerous possibilities. See your Dentist now for examination, differential diagnosis, and treatment or referral.

Last updated Apr 12, 2020