Australia

Hi, is it ok to take effexor (venlafaxine) xr while breastfeeding to help with anxiety? my son is 10 months old & still has 5-6feeds per day plus solids.

Dr. Richard Zimon
Ask your: PEDIATRICIAN! I would NOT accept an answer here on Health Tap ! Your own PEDIATRICIAN must be consulted and you should be dealing with your anxiety with proper counseling! My Opinion Only ..but I hope it HELPS! Good Luck ! Dr Z
Dr. Venkata Vallury
Effexor (venlafaxine): there is inadequate literature to assess the risk, hence use it with caution.
Dr. Enrique Madrigal-segura
Meds & breastfeeding: The only medication in that category that is not present in significant amounts in mother's milk is the Sertraline. I would suggest to ask your doctor if given the nature and severity of your symptoms, could be safely prescribed.
Dr. Patricia Foster
Ask MD: Effexor (venlafaxine) gets into breast milk. If you were advised not to take during pregnancy, I'd hold off for the same reason and consider bottle feeding if you need this med. That said, discuss with pediatrician who's advice is best.
Last updated May 1, 2016