Clovis, CA

how likely am i to have throat cancer i i only smoke weed? i don't drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes.

Pathology 49 years experience
Not at this age: You are highly unlikely to have throat cancer from what you described. However you are not doing your health any favor by using weed. If you do not wish to be pregnant, use contraception all the time, every time. You may consider implanted contraceptive, or IUD. Practice safe sex. Get HPV vaccine. For good health - Have a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low fat milk and milk products, nuts, beans, legumes, lentils and small amounts of lean meats. Avoid saturated fats. Exercise at least 150 minutes/week and increase the intensity of exercise gradually. Do not use tobacco or alcohol in any form.
Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Myron Arlen commented
Surgical Oncology 64 years experience
HPV vaccines being banned in many countries due to many severe complications
Jun 18, 2015
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 64 years experience
Very rare: While throat cancer in general is very rare among the array of malignancies, the major cause in the past was not only excessive smoking, but high exposure to alcohol in combo. Even then it did take many years to develop. A not uncommon cause today is the addition of oral exposure to the HPV virus. By minimizing or eliminating such sources of contact, there should be no concern about this Ca.
Pathology 44 years experience
Low risk: I can't tell you in this forum that any form of smoking is healthy, but I'm very pleased that you're not doing alcohol or tobacco. If there's a risk at all from cannabis alone, it's sufficiently small that nobody's been able to quantitate it. Please be safe while you've got your buzz and don't drive. I hope your life is also enriched by adventure, good relationships, and enjoyable exercise.

Last updated Jun 18, 2015