currently a medical student but struggling. is medicine not for me if i have a severe anxiety disorder? ever heard of doctors with similar problems?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Enrique Madrigal-segura
53 years experience Psychiatry
Only too many: All I have to say, is that I have treated a lot of MD's and medical students, and most of the are committed to their medical career or respective work. They usually respond well after taking a step to get help. This is at times difficult, most of all because we feel this might be a stigma or signs of being unsuitable to be a healer. Expectations of self-healing is high among us, for sure.
Answered on Jun 13, 2015
1
Dr. Matthew Smith
39 years experience Psychiatry
Different question.: Your question should be, "Can I find sufficient treatment and inner resources so that my anxiety doesn't interfere with responsible medical judgment?" If you are otherwise motivated and competent, it is likely that you can find such treatment. However, your question sounds like you may be legitimately wondering if medicine is otherwise right for you.
Answered on Jun 18, 2015
1
1
Dr. Jeffrey Juchau
See your advisor, a counselor , PCP.
Jun 13, 2015
Dr. Patricia Foster
43 years experience Psychiatry
See MD: Suggest you get help for your OCD and ADHD before making the big decision to stay or leave medicine. You're not the only med student to struggle this way. Find a psychiatrist asap you're comfortable with, perhaps also a therapist and let them help you figure out what's best for you. Too much going on with you personally plus the stress of med school to struggle alone. All the best.
Answered on May 1, 2016