is it okay to eat nuts if you've had diverticulitis attacks in the past?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Mark Dickson
22 years experience General Surgery
Yes: I tell my patients that nuts are ok. In the past it was thought that nuts caused problems for people with diverticuli, but I've seen at least one study refute that.
Answered on May 17, 2019
Dr. Stephen Southard
Controversial: While many gastroenterologist and other treating doctors still recommend to avoid eating seeds, nuts, popcorn, etc that may get "stuck" in diverticulae, there are multiple studies that suggest this isn't the case. Make of that what you will. A high fiber, vegetarian diet has been shown to be preventative.
Answered on Feb 15, 2020
1