Millerton, IA

Hello i have a lymph node that hurts very badly and has made my face swell my question is, is it cancerous?

Dr. Craig MacArthur
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 35 years experience
Not likely: Cancerous lymph nodes typically are not painful and usually and frequently grow slowly. Infections of lymph nodes typically causes rapid onset of swelling and pain. You likely have lymphadenitis and / or cellulitis and need to see a doctor to treat the infection.
Pathology 45 years experience
Yes: No matter what it is, you need to be seen now. At your age, it could well be Hodgkin's and timely treatment will make likely a cure of this otherwise deadly illness. Swelling of the face suggests obstruction of a deep vein by more lymph node tissue. Good luck, and be brave.

Last updated May 4, 2015