U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

My knee has a very dark rough spot that sort of looks like a small bruise. i've had it for so long it never seems to go away. is it dead skin? it's so rough compared to the rest of my knee. i also have very rough dry dark areas around my big toe that is

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Thomas Mcgowan
Specializes in Family Medicine
Dark patch: sounds like dry skin or possible eczema or psoriasis.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Warren Wolfe
Family Medicine 60 years experience
Best to see a dermatologist or even your family physician to be sure since this has lasted so long.
Apr 16, 2015
Dr. Scott Keith
Podiatry 46 years experience
Working Skin.: Darken, roughened areas of skin are often seen around joints and areas of high skin motility. They are usually due to multiple layers of shin causing a pigment increase perception. You can always have it evaluated to see if it is something else, but often there is little that can be done.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 13, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.