i've had an ingrown toenail for around 5-6 months and am still on a waiting list, i'm taking antibiotics and cleaning it, could i still lose whole toe?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Gary Kugler
30 years experience Podiatry
Infected or not?: This depends if the ingrown nail is causing an infection (redness, pain, swelling, pus, increase in skin temperature). If you are relatively healthy and have an infection, this would probably not lead to needing an amputation, however, if you have diabetes or are immune compromised, then you need to take care of this immediately. In my opinion any bacterial infection should be treated promptly.
Answered on Apr 9, 2015
Dr. Darrell Latva
41 years experience Podiatry
5-6 MONTH WAIT!: Wow, I thought Obamacare was bad! Is it red, swollen , pus or just painful? It would be most unusual to lose your toe. I think you would need the trifecta of uncontrolled diabetes+vascular disease+smoking for that to happen. Hope you get in soon!
Answered on Aug 11, 2016