should i become a vegan? are there any health benefits?

43 years experience Pathology
Moral benefits: The moral benefits (protest against factory farming of animals) are admirable. The health benefits are difficult to study given that vegans tend to have other good habits (no alcohol, no tobacco, focus on fitness). "the china study" was deeply flawed by reliance on death certificates during mao's famine. Be very sure to supplement wisely or veganism will ruin your health, maybe permanently.
Answered on May 27, 2013
1
Dr. Daniel Schainholz
33 years experience Ophthalmology
A B12 supplement is what you need if you are 100% vegan. The greatest health benefit is in the reduction in your risk for obesity, heart disease/stroke, cancer, high blood pressure and diabetes. Megaloblastic anemia is a relatively minor risk compared to these major killers. Meat eating is anticipated to ruin your health and, of course, definitely ruins the health of the farm animals.
May 27, 2013