U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 19-year-old male asked:

I have tmj arthritis i consulted a docykr yesterday he told to take rest.is this serious ?is there any treatment?

3 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. John DeWolf
41 years experience
Rest is treatment: For example, stopping chewing gum (if you do that a lot) will often help TMD. Essentially that is rest but more specifically it is conservative treatment. There are other elements that can be discussed as well but be grateful to be in the care of a cautious practitioner who isn't quick to use surgery or other more invasive treatments prior to trying things like this first. Good luck!
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Take rest?: Not good advice. See a TMJ expert to help evaluate and treat your problem. A TMJ expert can be general dentist, an oral surgeon, prosthodontist, orofacial pain specialist. Ask your physician, dentist or dental society for a recommendation.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See OFP specialist: Osteoarthrosisis a noninflammatory degenerative disorder of the TMJ that is characterized by deterioration of the articular tissues and remodeling of the underlying subchondral bone. See Orofacial Pain expert for a consultation and proper treatment. Do not delay.
Last updated Apr 1, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.