U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 64-year-old female asked:

Have moderate degeneration in left tmj and severe degenerative changes in the right. my rheumatologist says not ra. what treatment is likely?

3 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ronald Krauser
A Verified Doctoranswered
Rheumatology 53 years experience
Surgery: There are surgical options which can help. I would suggest consultation with a maxillofacial surgeon.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 46 years experience
Arthritis of TMJ: Most likely degenerative arthritis due to displaced discs. See a TMJ expert for conservative treatment. Most cases will improve.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
See OFP specialist: Treatment includes a soft diet, NSAIDs for control of pain and inflammation, and a muscle relaxant in the presence of hyperactivity. Joint lavage or arthroscopy should be considered. See Orofacial Pain specialist for diagnosis and conservative treatment.
Last updated Jul 26, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.