U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 66-year-old male asked:

I have extremely severe pain in my left shoulder and upper arm from bursitis. i've tried heat, cold, physical therapy and meloxicam with no success. ?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 34 years experience
Get MRI: If you have 'bursitis' diagnosed by history and physical exam/ X-rays only and have had the treatment you discussed w/out improvement then a good quality MRI scan is indicated. If you've had an MRI scan which confirms above then see a qualified ORS for possible subacromial injection or arthroscopic decompression/rotator cuff repair. Best if Luck!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Dec 12, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.