U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 21-year-old female asked:

Under my tongue is sore on right side and maybe swollen. left side hurts white/red sore. what is it and do i go to dentist or doctor?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Abraham Thomas
Dentistry 29 years experience
Oral Surgeon: I advise you to see an oral surgeon. They are highly trained in oral pathology.
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry 31 years experience
Not a GP: Oral conditions are usually not easily diagnosed/treated by general physicians. However, an ENT should definitely be able to help you if you want to see a physician. If you prefer to go to a dentist, you have 4 good choices: general dentist, periodontist, oral surgeon, or oral pathologist. All of them have extensive training and experience with oral lesions. My personal 1st choice is oral surgeon.
Last updated Jun 12, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.