A member asked:

I have had positive ana for 5 years, getting higher and higher to 1:640. now suddently negative without treatment. how is this possible?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

See details: An ANA is nonspecific and can even be seen in normals. It can become negative with time. I would stop testing for it.

Answered 2/12/2015

3.3k views

Thank
Dr. Moneil Patel answered

Specializes in General Practice

Non-specific ANA: ANA can be elevated for a variety of conditions including viral or bacterial etiologies. It does not mean you have an autoimmune disorder. It is a non-specific test. Despite high titers, and now suddenly a negative result without treatment further emphasizes this fact. I would not worry. Treat the patient, not the lab result, especially if you are asymptomatic.

Answered 11/11/2015

3.3k views

Thank

Related Questions

Sponsored Content
HealthTap Medical Group does not endorse products or services. Sponsored content revenues support our mission to make health information free and accessible to all.Learn more