I drink 1-4 beers 3-4 times a week after work or after a stressful day to relax and may over indulge once a month. how badly am i damaging my liver?

11 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Not much, yet: You're exceeding what most physicians consider the maximum for your age and sex - about 3 drinks/day about 5 days/week. All this a bit arbitrary, of course. This liver is a very hardy organ; it takes a lot to create enough damage to show on lab tests. What's troubling about your comments is your once a month 'overindulgence'. It's binge drinking that can be really damaging.

Answered 4/6/2013

5.2k views

Impossible to say: Liver damage in response to alcohol consumption varies a lot from person to person--everyone is different. In addition to liver damage, brain damage and damage to other organs and some cancers can also increase in heavy drinkers. Obviously, you want excellent health and you enjoy alcohol. But, there are risks--and they can be devastating or fatal--with more than light to moderately light use.

Answered 5/9/2016

5.2k views

Dr. Pamela Pappas answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Alcohol abuse: Since you're posting your concerns here, you know your alcohol use exceeds healthy moderation. Your liver is at risk from ongoing insult. It's doing the best it can, yet you're really testing its limits. You've developed tolerance to alcohol. Please get help with both your stresses and your stress-reliever. Start with your doc. S/he can check liver function & facilitate additional help.

Answered 11/22/2018

5.2k views