Saint Paul, MN

nifedipine do for raynauds? what is small vessel disease? other treatments.tried hot packs, blankets, gloves. uncomfortable fingers toes freezing cold

Dr. Gopinath Upamaka
Cardiology 39 years experience
Dilate: Nifedipine is a vasodilator calcium channel blocker. Helps dilate the vessels and might help with raynauds.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
It does not cause dilatation. it blocks constriction.
Mar 31, 2013
Dr. Xin-Nong Li
It helps Raynauds: Raynaud's symptoms are caused by constraction of peripheral arteries. Cessation of smoking is the most important process. Control blood pressure and treat hyperlipidemia to prevent artherosclerosis. Prophylactic measures including gloves, avoiding cold contact, etc.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Block constriction: Calcium channel blockers, especially Nifedipine treat raynauds by helping to block constriction of the small vessels of the hands and feet thereby improving the blood flow to those areas.