NJ

Baby was crying excessively while nurse was trying to get blood. it took 10 minutes to get a vein. can this stress alone cause a wbc of 25, 000?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Too high: Stress can cause some increase in wbc's. I don't know how old your baby is, and typical WBC counts can vary by age. Still, 25, 000 is very high & needs further investigation -- it's too high for stress alone. I'm glad you're getting your baby checked even though it sounds like a scary experience. I hope the doctors find what's wrong, and can help your baby feel better soon.
Dr. Barry Kahn
Pathology 31 years experience
No: Although as a parent, it is harrowing to see your child be in pain for any period of time, typically that short lived of a period of stress would not cause such an immediate, profound increase in one's WBC count. It sounds like you are plugged in appropriately with a healthcare provider that can investigate the cause with you, of which there are many possibilities.

Last updated Jun 10, 2014