what is the healing time of tibia fracture after nonunion surgery?

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
It varies: A non complicated tibia fracture usually heals in any where between 6-12 weeks. If you have already had a tibia fracture which did not heal, which is what a nonunion is, it really depends on the nature of your problem and the type of surgery done. In the best cases scenario, it will heal in6-8 weeks. In the worst, it may not heal again. You would sure want to avoid nicotine and nsaids. Thanks.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Dr. Peter Ihle commented
Orthopedic Surgery 54 years experience
Steroids 2
Nov 15, 2013
Dr. Steven Morgan
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Depends : Depends on type of non union. If the nonunion is a hypertrophic non union or one that made a lot of bone then it may only take 6 to 10 weeks. If it is a strophic non union (no bone) then it may take 3 to 6 montha.
Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery 54 years experience
Takes12-18 mos.: Seen mainly in mid shaft fractures due 2 poor blood supply and less than satisfactory fixation that allows movement @ the fracture site. It entails take down of the nonunion, bone grafting & new solid & compression fixation. B settled 4 the long haul.