Canada

I was on crestor (rosuvastatin) for about 2 years before my md stopped it due to higher creatinine levels . i am also hypothyroid and my chol. is high now. advice?

Dr. Jack Rubin
Nephrology and Dialysis 49 years experience
Hyperlipidemia: You should speak to your doctor. Crestor (rosuvastatin) needs to be given in a reduced dose, 5 mg, in patients with chronic kidney disease. Ask your doctor if you can resume it at this reduced level. If not, you can be switched to another statin to lower your cholesterol. You should also have your thyroid function checked, if it is low, putting you on thyroid replacement therapy may be of some help.
Dr. Kathryn Peper
38 years experience
Underactive thyroid: If your thyroid disease is not well controlled, your cholesterol can be elevated. You should follow up with your doctor and have your thyroid function checked and your medication adjusted. When your thyroid function is normal, recheck your cholesterol and treat if still elevated.

Last updated Jun 24, 2014