A member asked:

Will hand surgery recorrect my fracture that healed wrong years ago?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Barry Press answered

Specializes in Plastic Surgery

Malunited fractures can be improved surgically. The bone needs to be re-fractured (actually, cut = osteotomy) and then placed in correct alignment and rotation. I usually like to rigidly fix these with plates and/or screws to allow early motion. See a hand surgeon. Good luck!

Answered Dec 29, 2022



Still have questions?

Get the best care from a doctor who knows you.

Book a Video Appointment
Sponsor Content
Dr. Christopher Ferguson answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Only an experienced hand surgeon who has evaluated you and reviewed your x-rays can advise you on this. There can never be a guarantee of fracture healing though most hand fractures do.

Answered Feb 19, 2015


Dr. Jeffrey Wint answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

That there is mal rotation or too much angulation and this affects function then yes there are times that surgery can help correct those problems. However one must be very careful for realistic goals and not to seek out surgery solely for cosmetic reasons.

Answered Jun 16, 2013



Related Questions

A member asked:

How long does a wrist fracture surgery take to heal?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor