I don't like to sleep with mouth guard. are there any simple home medicines for a mouth guard?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr. answered

Specializes in

Orthopedic Dentist: The cause of grinding is rarely correctly treated. Most dentist make a bite appliance for you to wear to keep from grinding away the teeth. This is only treating the symptom and not the cause. The usual cause is the roof of your mouth (palate) is too narrow in comparison to the lower jaw. The muscles not finding their home position keep searching = bruxism results.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

No: Unfortunately there are no medicines or simple home remedies for patients with bruxism. The cause is not well known. Some theories believe it is related to stress, sleep disorders, or bite problems. Honestly in my opinion there are many dentists who merely advise fabricating a night guard without much thought or knowledge. Find a dentist with experience in tmj, sleep training for a consult.

Answered 5/11/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Kenneth Grossman answered

Specializes in Endodontics

Give it time: In my experience, it takes about a week to get used to a night guard. Sometimes a small adjustment by your dentist can make it more comfortable. Don't give up so easily.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.2k views