Is antibiotic prophylaxis for dental procedures recommended for those with pacemakers? I didn't think so...

Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience in Dentistry
Not usually: You are correct. As a general rule, we don't usually prescribe premedication for patients with pacemakers, unless of course there are other medical or dental reasons to do so, or the cardiologist requests or suggests it. If you were prescribed premedication, ask for the reason why.
Answered on Nov 27, 2017
4
4 comments
3
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience in Dentistry
Provided original answer
Perhaps, perhaps not, but not an answer to the question.
Sep 5, 2013
Dr. William Coppola
45 years experience in Pediatric Dentistry
According to the last guidelines from the ADA and ACA, pacemakers are low risk and do not need antibiotic coverage for Infectious Endocarditis. In the manual the ADA released it stated to always get a consult from a Cardiologist. We see many children with special needs issues and when I get consults for heart patients I am usually told, I know what the guidelines say, but I want the child covered
Feb 15, 2014
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience in Dentistry
Provided original answer
It is always best to consult with the patient's Cardiologist. That is what I would do.
Feb 15, 2014