U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 30-year-old member asked:

Dyslexia mostly with writing but sometimes reading and talking. what is the best treatment for this?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Cheryl Coldwater
Pediatrics 39 years experience
Tutoring: A good dyslexia education program can help. If this is for a child, check with the school to see if they have special services available for dyslexia education. If for an adult, you may want to check with a local community college and see if they have any programs.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental and Behavioral 51 years experience
Dyslexia = language-: Based reading disorder caused by the brain's inability to process phonemes, the smallest units of sound in a language. People who have trouble decoding words (reading) often have trouble encoding words (writing), diagnosed as "disorder of written expression." a neuropsychological evaluation is needed to define the type & extent of your language impairment in order to determine useful therapies.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 52 years experience
Speech therapist: You should start with a neuropsychologist to determine exactly what you issues are exactly. then referral to a speech and language therapist may provide you the help you need.
Last updated Jul 1, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.