I have had chronic neck pain for about a year. if i lay or sit wrong, i get pain in my upper arm and i get tingling in my wrist and thumb?

5 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Refer to answer: This is usually due to disc herniation form your neck. You can try over the door cervical traction with 10 lbs of water for 10 minutes once or twice a day. Also avoid over 10 lbs push pull, and lift. Avoid looking up. Also take magnesium of 250 mg per day. If problem persists beyond two weeks, refer to your physician for work up, xray and mri.

Answered 3/4/2014

6.1k views

Pinched nerve?: It sounds like you might have a pinched nerve in your neck. I would suggest finding a local do for some omm. Osteopathic manipulation can be very effective in treating symptoms such as you are describing. You will likely also need an x-ray to make sure there isn't something more ominous happening. If the symptoms persist, see you physician for a complete neurological workup.

Answered 11/26/2013

6.1k views

Dr. Vasu Brown answered

Specializes in Integrative Medicine

Herniation: When you have symptoms involving nerves like tingling it is strongly suggestive of herniation you may need MRI to confirm see your doctor who can order this for you.

Answered 6/10/2014

6.1k views