Are chiropractors licensed to legitimately review xrays with much accuracy?

26 doctors weighed in across 5 answers

Uncertain: The licensure of chiropractors and scope of care may vary from state to state. As far as competency in reviewing x-rays is concerned, that may vary between practitioners and the quality of films taken in their offices. There are "chiropractic radiologists" in some states, who routinely review x-rays according to how they were trained.

Answered 3/18/2019

6.1k views

Only secondary: Some chiropratcors devote time to imaging and certify them selves as chiropractic radiologists with particular attention to imaging findings as they relate to chiropractic treatments. In my opinion this should not be substituted for a primary reading by a fully certified radiologist but as a secondary reading may sometimes be of benefit.

Answered 7/5/2012

6.1k views

Dr. Eric Wang answered

Hm...: Can they legally give reports on xrays? Yes, in some cases. But given my experience with chiropractic reports, i'd highly suggest you have imaging studies read by a board certified radiologist. And yes, to be perfectly clear, I am a radiologist weigh that accordingly.

Answered 3/14/2014

6k views

No: Chiropractors have a limited understanding of the actual structure of the spine even though they talk about it repeatedly. Review of radiographs is done exclusively by radiologists trained especially in this area although orthopods and rheumatologists can also do a good job.

Answered 7/5/2012

6k views

Questionable: My experience with chiropractic xrys in children is that they almost always tell the parents that there is a problem. When I have had these xrys reviewed by a certified pediatric radiologist, I have found 100% of the time that the "abnormal" xrys are in fact totally normal. Hmmmm.....

Answered 6/12/2013

6k views