U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 32-year-old male asked:

How do i lower my cholesterol? currently 6.5 and i'm 32. shall i reduce salt intake and stop chewing nicotine gum? does exercise help?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 41 years experience
May not be necessary: While 6.5 is a bit high, it really depends on the subtypes of cholesterol. You need to know HDL & LDL & their subtypes- small LDL is much more hazardous than large ldl! more important than your cholesterol is inflammation-- see http://www.Sott.Net/article/242516-heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease & my comment. Reducing salt may help if you have high bp. Exercise is good!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 41 years experience
Provided original answer
see http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/healthscience/2012/October/Cholesterol-Myth-What-Really-Causes-Heart-Disease/ for more info. Don't ignore your cholesterol- get checked for the particle subtypes to see if you need to lower it. But reducing things that cause inflammation is the most important way to prevent heart disease!
Mar 14, 2013

Related questions

A male asked:
How to left chewing tobacco habit ? Should I use nicotine gum for few days ?
1 doctor answer5 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
Does the intake of omega-3 fatty acids help lower cholesterol?
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
Is there a relationship between long-term use of nicotine chewing gum and venous stasis in the feet?
3 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
A 45-year-old member asked:
Does nicotine show up in your drug tests if you chew nicorette (nicotine gum)?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Mar 24, 2018


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.