White, GA

my 8y/o incision scar from rhinoplasty (at the base of my nose in between my nostrils)never went away as my doc promised. is there anything i can do?

Dr. Patrick Schaner
Plastic Surgery 23 years experience
Yes.: Any time a surgeon makes an incision there will be a scar. We use several techniques to limit scar prominence such as tension free closure, eversion at the wound edge, splinting if surrounding tissues and avoiding sun exposure in the immediate post op period. What you do to improve the appearance depends on whether it is pigmented, hypertrophic , keloid or in an awkward area relative to light.
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Plastic Surgery 22 years experience
Second Opinion: See a board certified plastic surgeon. Your son may need some scar revision, or something as simple as a daily application of some topical remedy. www.vipplasticsurgery.com.
Dr. Mark Checcone
Facial Plastic Surgery 19 years experience
Scar revision: If you see an obvious scar in the columella (the column of skin between the nostrils), there is likely a misalignment of the skin edges, which can be repaired. A scar will always be present on close examination, but it should appear very inconspicuously when it is healed, usually within a few months after surgery.
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery 33 years experience
See your surgeon: Your surgeon can best assess the scar and determine if it is ok or you are a candidate for revision.
Dr. Suzanne Galli
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 24 years experience
Rhinoplasty: it is doubtful your surgeon promised your scar would go away. Any time the skin is incised, the resulting scar is permanent.

Last updated Feb 27, 2017