i got and itch on my ankle for the past 2 days. i put cortizone (hydrocortisone) on rhe effected area and it's still itching. what else can i do?

Dr. Danny Proffitt
Other things.: Knowing the source of the itch may help in the treatment. Bite? Contact with some compound you are allergic to? Unknown? Cortisone may help. It is not usually immediate. Ice to the area may help. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or other antihistamines may help. Things like this are usually self limited. If persistent, grows in size or greatly exacerbates, then get it looked at by pcp or dermatologist.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery 42 years experience
See physician.: See your family/internist MD. There are many entities that can cause this. It could even be related to varicose veins.