i've had some depression lately and normally i'm quite a happy person. it got so bad that i had thoughts of suicide. should i take antidepressants?

Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
General Practice 18 years experience
Consult your psych: I would recommend consulting your healthcare professional as soon as possible. There are local numbers also available to help.
Dr. Douglas Bey
Probably: You deserve a good psychiatric work up to determine your diagnosis & best treatment.
Dr. William Holmes
Child Psychiatry 34 years experience
Get Evaluation: It sounds like you have seen a change and that you are struggling with your emotions. If you are having thoughts of death, or thoughts of harming/killing yourself, then an evaluation for treatment would be a good step to take.
Dr. Miroslava Fox
Clinical Psychology 15 years experience
Get help: Having thoughts of suicide is never normal. If these thoughts becomes overwhelming, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room where you will be given a psych eval and referral. You can also call your primary care doctor and ask for referral for a psychiatrist and psychologist to help you cope with depression through medical and talk therapy. Good luck!
Dr. Lawrence Smith
Clinical Psychology 30 years experience
Possibly: The fact that you're normally quite happy is a good sign that you'll return to your normal state, and perhaps sooner than you might think. But, it would be good to take early action in order to secure a positive outcome soon. Thoughts of suicide are a symptom. It's a good idea to get an evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist asap. Medications can be a positive part of treatment for many.