Bishop, TX

what are the best brands of running shoes that help prevent shin splints?

Dr. Steven Sheskier
Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery 39 years experience
Well fit cushioned: Often caused by training errors: increasing mileage too fast, too often and too much. Running surgfaces can also increase the impact stress on the leg. Shoes are the interface between your body and the floor. Overpronators more prone to this, many running shoes are engineered to help this. Cushioning shoes in general are best, models change too frequent to reccomend specific model.
Dr. Stewart Jones
Podiatry 24 years experience
You can never go wrong with Asics Nimbus or Cumulus, higher end cushioned new balance are also good.
Feb 25, 2013
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 36 years experience
Comfortable ones....: Take the insoles out of your shoes and replace them with ones that have more cushioning and support. I like spenco products. The one i recommend most is the spenco polysorb cross-trainer insole. This will give you cushioning at heel strike and help decrease the impact on your knee. It may not have an "immediate" effect though. See an podiatrist if symptons persist.
Dr. Stewart Jones
Podiatry 24 years experience
CUSHIONING: Asics excels in cushioning, nimbus or cumulus (think clouds.) these will hold up over mileage. Mizuno wave is also a good choice. New balance has a few in their higher end. You will still need good pronatory control from an orthotic or a firm insole. Stretching is also key in the prevention of shinsplints.