U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 22-year-old male asked:

Recently i had knee injury and didn't see a physician but on the side of patella there is a hard thing popped out what is it? ligament? bone? cruciate?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bradley Butkovich
Orthopedic Surgery 28 years experience
Patella injury: It depends on the type of injury and depends in which side of you patella. I guarantee you that it is not your acl. It could be some scar tissue forming over the area if actually fell in your kneecap or it could also be a fragment of vaulted bone. If it continues to bother you you should have an orthopaedist actually examine you to tell you exactly what is going on. Tough without history or exam.
Dr. Thomas Kennedy
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
See a physician: Without knowing the type/mechanism of injury and whether you have other symptoms it would be hard to speculate. There are several possibles, but with a mechanical symptom of something hard next to the patella it is time to have a physician obtain a thorough history, examine your knee and possibly obtain x-rays or other studies.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 6, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.