United Kingdom

Abnormal cells found in breast cyst on cytology. cannot be seen on ultrasound due to aspiration so cannot do biopsy. would mri help?

Pathology 45 years experience
Get with pathologist: A cell from a cyst aspirate maybe "abnormal" but with no malignant potential. The fact that the cyst is gone without a trace suggests to me that if your physician is good with this, watchful waiting may be safe and wise.
Dr. Tina Stein
Radiology 48 years experience
Yes.: If the MRI is negative the likelihood of cancer is less than 2%. If an MRI is not obtained, a follow up ultrasound examination should be obtained and, if the cyst recurs, a core needle biopsy of it may be indicated. I assume you have had a mammogram? If not, one should be obtained.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014