my tongue is white and have red bumps on the back of my tongue?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
May be normal, but..: Normal tongues may have a slight whitish top layer and red bumps on the back of the tongue from different types of papillae. However, without actually being able to see your tongue, you should have your own dentist take a look just to be sure. There are certain conditions that need treatment or attention so do not assume that everything is normal unless actually seen by a dentist.
Dr. Matthew Giulianelli
Dentistry 16 years experience
Anatomy normal: The top of people's tongues can be different colors. White coatings can come from something that you ate, or a product that you are using. The red bumps on the back of your tongue may the normal appearance of taste buds called cirumvallate papilla. If you have any concerns at all, i would recommend seeing a dentist for an evaluation as white and red colorings may indicate things out of the norm.