Is this lumbar stenosis?cycling my left leg can pedal normal when the spine is flexed but upon extending spine left leg has no power and is "dragging"

3 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Leo Germin answered

Specializes in Neurology

See below: It llok like spinal stenosis indeed. See your doctor for the imaging studies of your lower back.

Answered 4/25/2015

5.3k views

Dr. Thomas Dowling answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

It is a possibility: If this is bothering you get it checked by your physician who can decide if an imaging study is indicated such as a MRI or ct of the lower back. Typically, with sitting or a bent over/flexed position, the spinal canal is more open and with standing erect or upright the canal has a narrower caliber as does the nerve exiting holes known as neuroforamen.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.3k views

Dr. Kornelis Poelstra answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Spinal stenosis: I completely agree; due to the erect position in the lumbar spine, some of the ligaments can fold-into the nerve tunnels and even the central spinal canal; narrowing the space available for the nerves that live there, and thus making the symptoms in your legs worse. This is called neurogenic claudication.

Answered 2/11/2013

5.3k views