My son 7 yrs has plantar warts on the foot that wont go away, what should i do to clear it?

Dr. Glenn Aufseeser
Podiatry 10 years experience
Warts: There are many different treatment options for warts... Mostly because nothing is guaranteed to work 100% of the time. A physician may try things like salicylic acid, cantharone therapy, cryotherapy or surgical excision. If a wart is resistant to different treatments, it might be a good idea to take a biopsy of the lesion to ensure that it is indeed a wart.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Hettinger
Podiatry 37 years experience
Lots of ways: Another type of painless treatment is to try oral cimetadine (400 mg three times a day for 12-16 weeks). This is very safe and had the side effect of getting rid of warts for many people of adult size and weight (japma november 1, 1995 vol. 85 no. 11 717-718 ). The dose is reduced for children and comes in liquid form if he can't yet swallow the pills.
Dr. Todd Skiles
Dr. Todd Skiles commented
undefined 32 years experience
Oral cimetadine has a success rate of about 75% in children below the age of 18 and is a viable option especially if your son doesn't want to go through the pain of having the wart surgically removed.
Feb 8, 2013
Dr. Vera Khrakovsky
Podiatry 34 years experience
Topical acid treatment at podiatrist office or CryoPen tx is not painful and is effective
Feb 8, 2013
Cut/Freeze/dissolve: Your local pcp or dermatologist can likely remove the wart over 1 or more visits. The application of caustic liquids can dissolve it, it can be cut down, or using newer liquid n2o can be frozen. I can usually take down a plantar wart in two or three sessions a week apart using a cryoprobe.
Dr. Libby Putnam
Podiatry 13 years experience
Several treatments.: You can try over the counter wart removers, but be careful: i've seen them do more harm than good. Other options your doctor might offer include cryotherapy (freezing the wart), electrocautery (burning the wart), laser treatment, or several different topical chemical treatments. If the treatment is typically uncomfortable, your doctor can numb the area before proceeding.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry 29 years experience
Recommend you take him to a foot doctor or dermatologist.
Jun 30, 2013