Olympia, WA

I have a broken tooth and directly under it on the jaw line there is walnut sized lump pushing out near my neck. is this an abscess or cancer?

Dr. Kenny Abedini
25 years experience
See your dentist: Tooth infection can cause that lump. You must check it with a dentist first to see what is next.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stephen Gordon
45 years experience
Possibly abscess but: See your dentist asap. If the tooth is severely broken, it will need to be removed. If the large swelling is an abscess, it will get larger and needs to be drained. You may require antibiotics. Only your dentist can tell exactly what you problem is and can appropriately treat it.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 43 years experience
Likely abscess: Get to the oral surgeon immediately. Tell them just what you said in this question. You may be developing a cellulitis which can be life-threatening. Go now. If you cannot get to oral surgeon, go to er. Do not wait.
Pathology 46 years experience
THis is very good advice. If it's an infection, it can spread fast and kill you by obstructing the airway.
Apr 4, 2013
Last updated May 5, 2016