U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 31-year-old member asked:

I put neosporin on a cut and i am having an allergic reaction. what else can i use?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine 25 years experience
Check options: Next trip to drug store / walmart / supermarket, look at antibiotic ointment options. Should be polymixin or Bacitracin options-but read label, many are combinations that contain neosporin as well.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 30 years experience
A number of individuals develop a contact allergy to Neomycin, avoid it from now on. As Dr Alves said, bacitracin is a good option.
Feb 10, 2013

Similar questions

A 48-year-old member asked:

What ingredients in neosporin can an allergic reaction?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Mark Eaton
22 years experience
Neosporin: Neosporin is a very common allergen, as is Bacitracin (both are very commonly used). Interestingly, neither is better than vaseline at preventing infection, but both are usually better at treating one. So, if you have a scratch, simple use of vaseline (or equivalent) is best to prevent an infection, and save the antibiotics for a proven infection. Stop using neosporin if it causes a rash for u.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 24, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.